How one #jadornbride made a pair of pretty bridal earrings perfect for her wedding in Berlin
Today I’m sharing a real-life example of how to order custom jewelry based on a pair of bridal earrings from my shop!
When #jadornbride Rachel first reached out to me, it was because she had fallen in love with a pair of beautiful bridal earrings from my collection. However, she was looking for a slightly shorter pair of earrings for her wedding in Germany. I assured her that she could have both the size and look she wanted and I worked with her over a series of emails to customize the opal and gold vine earrings she loved into a pair that was perfect for her!
Side by side comparison
The original pair of gold bridal earrings that Rachel fell in love with featured long opal teardrops below a delicate crystal vine. To make them slightly shorter I swapped out the long teardrop for a shorter opal teardrop stone. I couldn’t be more pleased with the way the customized pair of earrings turned out, and their #jadornbride agrees!
A Bracelet to Match
Rachel also ordered a matching bracelet to complete her bridal jewelry set: the Crystal Vine and Pearl Bracelet (pictured below) from the J’Adorn Designs jewelry shop. I custom-sized this piece for her as well because she thought it might be too big for her tiny wrist. I simply removed one of the vine links and added a small gold extender chain to ensure the perfect fit for her bridal bracelet!
A Rave Review for Customized Bridal Jewelry
When Rachel received her customized bridal jewelry set in the mail, she sent me an email to let me know just how much she loved it! She said:
“The earrings and bracelet are just beautiful!!!! Just what I was hoping for, if not even more beautiful in person!! I’ve shown photos to my best friend and my sister and they’ve described them as stunning and exquisite!!”
Sensitive ears don’t have to limit your bridal jewelry options. Here are my top 3 tips for choosing statement earrings for sensitive ears!
If you’re planning your wedding and have been looking for the perfect pair of statement earrings to match the dress of your dreams but have the “blessing” of sensitive skin (or, as I like to call it, “biological good taste“), chances are you’ve been frustrated by the selection of cheaply plated earrings at the bridal salons.
But having sensitive skin doesn’t have to limit your options! Your ears can sparkle as brightly as you want with a simple quality upgrade.
This post will guide you through 3 important features to look for when selecting statement earrings for sensitive ears. Additionally, you can click any of the photos in this post to shop my favorite picks from the J’Adorn Designs collection that fit the bill!
1. Choose earrings with sterling silver or real gold posts if you’re sensitive to metal quality and weight.
- A sturdy post with a secure backing will make sure your earrings stay put with minimal “swing” during the day.
- I always recommend a higher-quality precious metal for any pair of statement earrings for sensitive ears. Even if the earrings are not heavy, materials like sterling silver and real gold are gentler on the skin than base metals. Most of the earrings in my shop already feature sterling silver or gold filled components, but you can always ask for an upgrade too!
- If your earrings are heavy, high quality metals will help your sensitive skin be a little more forgiving of the weight and motion that might occur.
2. For dangle earrings, choose lever-backs over open hooks.
- Lever-back earrings, or hook earrings that close completely in the back, are a style that I always recommend for brides. This is because a closed earring is much less likely to fall out than one that is open! In my experience, they are also less likely to slide around inside your pierced earring hole, which makes for an extra level of comfort when wearing earrings all day.
- Once again, quality metals are key! Look for lever-backs that are sterling silver or at least gold-filled in quality. For a refresher course on metal quality & terminology, check out this previous blog post.
3. Choose earrings that are as lightweight as possible.
- It is possible to wear a pair of large-sized statement earrings for sensitive ears without lots of weight. (Just think about the feather earrings that were popular a few years ago!)
- Wire-wrapped styles are often lighter weight than solid metal frames with pronged stone settings.
- Alternative materials like lace, feathers, and even colorful acrylic are all creative options for adding a unique “pop” to your statement earrings without weighing down your earlobes.
If all else fails, you can always go custom!
If you’d simply like to save yourself the headache of testing every piece of jewelry against this list of criteria, you can always commission your own bespoke pair of statement earrings for sensitive ears! J’Adorn Bride Jill went this route and was thrilled with the results.
Whatever you choose, be sure to remember that it is possible to have the look and feel you want when it comes to your bridal jewelry!
We recently had the honor of seeing an editorial shoot we contributed to earlier this year featured on the wedding blog, Burnett’s Boards. In this post we’re sharing a few of our personal favorite shots by Red October Photography from this cool, modern D.C. bridal shoot with gold and navy blue elements.
We especially love the way Tiffany of Simply Breathe Events chose to style the jewelry from our collection into a few different looks for the bridal model – and that amazing cake created by Evan of Sweets by E! Check out the full gallery, and let us know in the comments which part is your favorite.
Fellow contributing vendors:
Photography: Red October Photography
Planning & Styling: Simply Breathe Events
Venue: River Farm
Hair Styling: Jewel HD
Makeup: Blend DC
Bride’s attire: Fabulous Frocks of DC
Groom’s attire: Lapel
Florals: Flower Bud Florals
Cake: Sweets By E
Rentals: DC Rental
Calligraphy: Allison Dee Calligraphy